Thursday, August 30, 2012

Meet Clinton's Monique Harris!!



A neat article in the QCTimes, Thursday, Aug31 by   
Clinton setter Monique Harris recently was named to the American Volleyball Coaches Association Phenom List that recognizes elite juniors across the country. She’ll attend a four-day showcase in Louisville, Ky., later this year and play in front of college coaches.
How much are you looking forward to your trip to Louisville?
Our family is treating it like a vacation since we’ve got family down there. I really don’t know much about it, but from what I’ve read it is more like a camp and you get to watch the NCAA Tournament. It should be fun since I love volleyball.
What prompted you to become a setter?
I’ve always done it since I was in fourth or fifth grade because I was the shortest person on my team. I can hit, but I’ve really never been a hitter since I’m 5-8.
How special has it been to be this team’s setter for three years?
It is an honor knowing that I have people older than me willing to accept me and do as I say on the court.
What do you like most about being the point person for Clinton’s offense?
Most people pay attention to the hitters because they get the most ka-boom out of the point, but I like being the commander on the court and knowing what’s going to happen. I get a lot of excitement out of watching someone else succeed from something I helped them do.
How much do you run in a typical match tracking down passes?
A marathon. That is no joke. When the passing isn’t there, I run so much. I think people underestimate my job, but there’s a lot of running involved. You’ve got to be in good shape.
On your Twitter profile, you say “volleyball is life.” What else do you like to do?
It is life. There is nothing else to my life besides volleyball. I do it year-round. I play softball, but I don’t like it as much as volleyball. My heart is in volleyball. I am more a student than a player of the game. I always like to learn new things to make myself better and take myself as far as I can.
You are active on Twitter with more than 3,400 tweets. What are you tweeting about?
I love Twitter, and I’m on it all day during school and between classes. I’m on it way more than Facebook. A lot of the tweets are from my friends.
Do your parents read your Twitter account?
No, no, no. I’d probably be in so much trouble if they did.

Thanks to Matt Coss for doing a great job with Iowa high school Volleyball!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please register & feel free to make a comment. Thank you for your visit!